India is a popular choice for students from around the world that want to further their education in a foreign land. In addition to its many courses at various levels (undergraduate, post-graduate and doctorate), India is also the ideal study destination as it is so full of cultures, languages and religions. These expose the students to an entirely new world, where they are urged to explore the norms of their own lives within a brand new context. This forces them to reflect on their own ideas and thought and to evaluate these within a completely different framework.
India is the second largest network for higher education in the world. The various courses available include the fields of medicine, art, journalism, engineering, architecture, language, business and commerce, amongst many others. These courses are recognised globally and are lectured in English (at most educational institutions). Students that have not yet learnt to speak or read English at the standard that these universities require will enjoy the courses available to assist with the development of their English.There are over 340 universities and over 17 000 colleges in India. The fee structures are reasonable and affordable,
Foreign students that are planning to study in India will need:
• A valid passport (for a minimum of six months).
• A confirmed letter of acceptance or a provisional admission certificate from a university, a college or similar institution.
• Proof of easy availability of sufficient funds for the duration of their studies, enabling them to support themselves.
• A health certificate.
• An AIDS-free certificate.
• A Student Visa (not required for the children of Indian Diaspora)
• Proof of long-term (at least three years) or permanent residence in the country (not for the children of Indian Diaspora).
The academic year begins in July or August, so foreign students will need to apply well in advance. Applications can be sent directly to the university to which they wish to apply, or to:
Head (Placement & Secondment),
Educational Consultants of India
Ed.CIL House, 18-A, Sector 16-A, Noida- 201301, INDIA
Prospective students should attach the following to their applications:
1. Attested copies of certificates of the qualifying examination.
2. Two passport size photographs.
3. A processing fee of US$ 100 (non-refundable) through a demand draft in favour of 'Educational Consultants of India' payable at New Delhi.